AFA MASTER EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEMORANDUM
MASTER EXECUTIVE OFFICER NOMINATIONS
September 27, 2019
In accordance with the MEC policy and procedures and the AFA constitution and Bylaws notice is given that nominations consideration for AFA Horizon Air Master Executive Council Officers is now open. The positions consist of the MEC President, MEC Vice President & MEC Secretary Treasurer.
Flight Attendants in good standing with the union may have their name considered for a nomination to any or all the MEC Officer positions. In order to be considered for nomination a member must be in good standing and submit a resume for each position they wish to be considered. A resumes should be sent to email@example.com for each position that the member wishes their name to be considered for a nomination. Resumes must be sent no later than 1800 hrs on October 28th.
If you would like to receive an interview, please include in your resume your desire for an interview. Interviews are helpful to voting members of the Master Executive committee in determining nominations, but interviews are not mandatory.
The members of the Master Executive Council will then nominate a flight attendant member for each position for election consideration. Election of the MEC officers by the Master Executive members will take place in December and the new MEC officers will take their respective positions on January 1, 2020.
The following are the Master Executive Council Officer positions:
MEC PRESIDENT Jurisdiction and Duties
The MEC President is the chief executive officer of the MEC and is charged with, and responsible for, administering MEC policies;
- Is responsible for the expeditious processing of members’ complaints and grievances;
- Acts as the AFA-CWA Representative of Horizon Air and is responsible for furthering and implementing the objectives and policies announced by the Board of Directors;
- Is charged with, and responsible for, coordinating and compiling MEC policy, reviewing reports and recommendations, and submitting such material to the appropriate committees;
- Is a member of the Negotiating Committee;
- Is a member of the Executive Board;
- Will communicate with an incoming MEC President until she/he has been sufficiently informed of all matters pertaining to the MEC;
- Shall perform any duties mentioned elsewhere in the MEC Policy and Procedures and AFA-CWA Constitution and Bylaws;
- Is the primary point of contact for the Company regarding issues affecting Horizon Air flight attendants as a whole.
MEC VICE PRESIDENT Jurisdiction and duties
- The MEC Vice President shall assist the MEC President in the performance of duties and carry out any assignment as directed by the MEC or the President.
- Shall perform the duties of the MEC President in her/his absence.
- Shall become Acting President when the office becomes vacant and shall call a meeting of the MEC within sixty days for the purpose of electing a new President.
- Will make notes of motions passed at MEC meetings and notify the people involved as soon as possible.
- Will be granted floor privileges at all meetings of the MEC and Board of Directors, but shall have no vote if not also an LEC President.
- Is responsible for maintaining the Rules of Policy and Procedures as directed by the MEC.
- Is responsible for overseeing the administrative needs of the MEC Committees. Yearly, or as required, reviews with each MEC Committee Chairperson will be conducted. The reviews will include the following topics:
1. Budgetary factors
2. Committee Structure and Responsibilities
3. Knowledge of their subject
4, Working relationship with MEC, MEC Officers, local representatives and company counterpart.
MEC SECRETARY-TREASURER Jurisdiction and duties
- The Secretary-Treasurer will assist the MEC President in the administration of MEC funds. She/he will review and maintain the monthly budget expenditures as provided by the AFA International Office. Budget Reports will be given at MEC meetings. Full accounting reports will be provided to Local Council Presidents upon request.
- Will maintain MEC records, keep meeting minutes and supply them to the MEC within 14 days, and will perform duties assigned by the MEC President.
- Will become Acting Vice President if a vacancy in the office occurs.
- Will become Acting President when both the office of President and Vice President become vacant and shall call a special MEC meeting within 14 days for the election of new officers.
- Shall serve as the Credentials Committee to certify each local representative prior to an MEC meeting.
- Shall monitor membership rosters and seniority lists.
- Shall ensure that prior to bidding, all known AFA events for the following bid will be posted to a calendar published by the MEC.
- Is responsible for maintaining the MEC resolutions, tabulated by subject matter.
- Will be granted floor privileges at all meetings of the MEC and Board of Directors, but shall have no vote if not also an LEC President